Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Kitchen Demo

As I mentioned in my earlier post, we bought our home because it had good bones (among other things).  Although it was structurally sound, we had our work cut out for us because it was definitely lacking in the style and comfort department.  So, almost immediately upon moving in, we began our renovations and tackled the house room by room.  Of course, like most rookies at renovating, we failed to take photos in the beginning in some of the rooms that we redesigned.  So, as a result, some room renovations will go forever undocumented.  Photos or no photos, I do think that when you walk around our home now, it definitely feels cohesive and the rooms piece together in only a way that we could have connected them with our particular style.

The good news is that, when it came time to tackle the kitchen, we were experienced enough to take at least a few photos (not as many as I would've liked, but a few is better than none) so that we could see the before and after results.  That being said, when I was considering which room I should share first, I naturally decided on the kitchen being that it was the most intensive makeover and when it was complete, the end result had a huge impact on the transformation of our home.


I don't even know where to start, our kitchen was a disaster!  One of the things that bothered me the most is that we had two different sets of cabinets!  Oh, and the appliances were all in the wrong spots!  Not to mentions, that there was actually a false wall built over our cabinets which made the room seem smaller, and oh yeah the 32" standard doorway that totally compartmentalized the kitchen from the rest of the house that has a pretty open floor plan.

So, with big dreams of a more practical and esthetically pleasing kitchen, we dove in head first and started the demo process.  Actually, I should say, my dad and Dan started the demo process.  


Here is Dan just throwing his hands in the air and probably wondering, what did I get myself into?  



Right here is one of my favorite changes, this is when the original standard doorway more than doubled in size!

Now that we had the kitchen good and empty, we started to piece together a kitchen that we hoped would reflect our style of casual yet put together, comfortable, esthetically pleasing and homey.  So, we choose neutral, classic, timeless palate and supplies, and added a bit of color to liven up the space.  

I bet after looking at the terrible kitchen we started with and then the demo picks, you are just waiting to see how everything turned out, right?  So, stay tuned, in my next post I'll reveal the finished space. 




No comments:

Post a Comment